Thursday, January 29, 2009

In which I represent the US very well

What a day. So for my Canadian Multicultural Literature class, we had guest speakers Drs. Cecil Foster and Sharon Beckford, two rather prominent black Canadian authors/critics. They held a very interesting discussion with the class on the issue of race in Canadian writing (the details of which I won't go into, though they're probably 5 billion times more interesting than what I'm going to describe).

During the middle of the class discussion, I get hit full-force by a sniffle that's been threatening to overtake my nose all week. Without tissues. So I'm sitting about 4 metres away from three very VERY smart people (my prof is there as well) with my nose dripping. I can't get up to leave because we're right in the middle of a rather intense discussion. And there I am subtlely trying to 1) Keep my nose ring turned around and 2) Conceal all of this. Dr. Beckford keeps looking at me, though that may be my paranoid vanity speaking. What's worse, I decide to go and draw attention to myself by asking a question that, because my head is all congested, comes out nowhere near as intelligently as I was hoping. Something about the dual aspects of race--I have no idea.

Fast forward to Dr. Foster's lecture this evening. I'm transferring all my stuff up a couple rows to sit with friends when the introductions start. The guy on the mic (also a prof of mine) startles me a bit, so I stand up and elbow the guy sitting in front of me in the back of the head. This guy, as it turns out, is Cecil Foster. I stammer an apology, but I have no idea what he says in response because I'm too busy turning beet red. Dr. Beckford also recognizes and says hi to me, and I can't help but wonder if she's thinking "Oh God, there's drippy nose girl again...."

Good lord, am I awkward sometimes.

On another topic, I have decided that my brain speaks French really well (like in my dreams, and when I formulate answers in class in my head). It's just my mouth that can't seem to process whatever's up there. The good news is, I have this problem in English as well. It's why I stammer and talk so fast--and hey, I'm fluent in English. I think a good French immersion program would nudge me over the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment