Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hearing voices and seeing things...

A had a friend of mine from the States phone me this evening so I could find my cell phone...not because I often use it to call anyone, but because it's my alarm clock. She said to me, "Well, it's nice to hear your voice," and put into words (part of) what I realized has been making me miss home.

I don't know if it's a common thing, but I get attached to voices. My head perks up when I think I hear someone that I know based solely on vocal recognition. When I first met one of my good friends here, I was drawn to her immediately because her voice reminded me of a girl I had known from AU. And I really miss hearing some of my friends, and I'll look forward to being able to use my cell phone again, if only for that reason.

Similarly, I've started seeing more and more people that I think I know from the States. It happened a bit when I first got here, and I recognized some of my closest friends in people here, but I'll see people and upon first glance think, "Oh, that's so-and-so," then remember that I'm in the wrong place. The same thing happened the summer after my parents moved out to Arizona and I was working at Kohl's. I wonder if the merging of what you knew and where you are now is a sign of adaptation or a sign of being ready to go, come to think of it...

I'll get into the boo-hoo-soul-split-in-two-oh-my-god-my-life-is-so-confused element of leaving later, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

2 comments:

  1. Who do I remind you of? Or am I just special enough to be unique lol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Pat dear, you seem to be unique. I couldn't come up with anyone, but I'll certainly let you know. Thanks for the shoes last night, by the way.

    ReplyDelete